UPDATED: We are now live on Product Hunt!
If you’re already a part of the PF community, you’re probably well-versed on Momentum — our community-loved planners now available as a productivity coach app in your pocket. (If you’re not a long-time follower of the journey, still, welcome to the party!)
We hope your level of excitement about the launch of Momentum matches ours.
For those who have been with us from the Kickstarter until now, we appreciate your support in bringing this tool to the world. From Day 1, we’ve taken a community-first approach to building Momentum and continue to be grateful for the ways you keep showing up.
Speaking of that community-first approach, so much of this year’s launch has been centered on getting Momentum in the digital hands of our readers, customers, and community. We wanted to make sure it was working for you first since it’s designed to replace or augment the existing tools you’ve used for years.
It’s now time for us to take the next big step and really get Momentum out to new people who need a tool that helps them focus on what matters most and our first major move is to launch Momentum on Product Hunt. 🎉🚀💪🏽
Product Hunt curates the best new tech products so curious people and investors can discover them.
Launching a tech product on their site is kind of like the Olympics of tech products — it means a chance to gain a lot more eyes on what we’re doing. Product Hunt has a history of making startups blow up overnight. (Ever heard of Notion or Loom?)
That’s why I want to make you aware and ready for our Product Hunt launch on Wednesday, September 14, and briefly recount for you the reasons we’re building Momentum in the first place.
Here’s How You Can Help
First, the two steps:
- Set up an account.
To support Momentum on Product Hunt, you will need a Product Hunt account (if you don’t already have one).
Not only is Product Hunt a great site in general but if you’re a fan of Momentum, we’ll seriously need your feedback and input to get the app the attention it deserves.
Once you have a Product Hunt account set up, you can immediately start checking out products and startups. Be sure to upvote other products, too, which helps verify your account in the superstellar Product Hunt community.
When you’ve had an account for a week or two in advance of the launch, you’ll be in a position to help support our launch since a Product Hunt community member with a history of liking products holds more weight than that of same-day, first-time sign-ups.
Guaranteed you’ll at least discover some wonderful apps and tools.
- Please spread the word.
You can find more context below about how Momentum came to be born/launched in the hopes you can share with your community what we’ve been up to, and why we need them to show up for this Product Hunt launch on September 14!
A Primer (or Refresher) on Why We’re Building Momentum
Since 2009, we’ve been building tools that help people who are under-served, and are excited that Momentum helps us take this even further; as we bake in more machine learning and functionality, Momentum will be able to provide computer-assisted learning and coaching as an alternative for the cost of high-concept, high-touch human-centered training, coaching, and teaching that most don’t have access to and/or can’t afford.
In case you’ve missed our journey with Momentum thus far or would like a refresher, here is some other important context about Momentum:
- Momentum is based on our popular Momentum Planners and Momentum Planning Method, which over the last decade have helped scores of thousands of people see results on their most important projects. (Our planners and worksheets have been downloaded well over a million times.)
- We believe that who makes the tools matter. Momentum is Black-, veteran-, and woman-owned and our team is atypical of a tech startup. Of our 11-person core team, only 3 are men. We’re a team of working parents, grandparents, folks with neurodiversity and disabilities, and people with diverse backgrounds from academia to camp counselors to bartenders. We’re a motley crew for a tech startup but look more like the world outside of tech.
- The app guides you through the best practices from productivity, positive psychology, behavioral economics, and habit formation principles so you become more efficient, effective, and focused on the projects that matter most to you.
- Momentum works on principles of calm tech, encourages thoughtful constraints, and avoids the “wall of red” of other task managers.
- We’re building Momentum to enable capabilities other apps don’t have or remove the friction that makes using apps harder than they need to be. For example, in a few clicks, you can archive or defer entire projects and the sub-tasks that go with them. With one click, you can shift up or down time horizons as you need to.
- Momentum is web-based but adaptive to use on smartphones and tablets. Larger screens are better for “planning” mode, while smaller screens are better for “driving” throughout the day. And, yes, you can print out your plans in case paper is the technology that best helps you drive your day and week. (Paper will still be around for a long time because it’s a superior technology for focus.)
Those are just some of the reasons this planning app is a game changer for the hustle-and-grind productivity scene. Our hope is that, like Tesla is doing for electric cars, what we’re doing with Momentum will place pressure on our industry to build better tools that actually support full-spectrum human thriving rather than fritter our attention and morale away.
You can find the Momentum app available with a free 30-day trial at www.hellomomentum.app, and for $100/year or $10/month thereafter. (If you join through the Product Hunt campaign, you can enjoy a 20% discount on your first subscription.)
One final note: we would really appreciate it if you’d share the news about our Product Hunt launch with your network and friends. Feel free to grab some of the details we’ve included in this post.
We all get by with a little help from our friends and our Success Pack! That’s why we need your help getting this one-of-a-kind tool out to the folks who need it and to help more people commit to their best work.