We're so glad you're here! This is where we'll have what's coming up for the Do Crew and the book launch.
We'll be updating this page weekly with what's coming up and we'll also have some stationary resources here for you as well.
We wanted you to have a place you could go outside of Slack that would give you a very basic rundown of what's going on, so that you're not missing anything.
December 2nd Updates:
Hello Do Crew!
I hope you all had a relaxing weekend (and a good Thanksgiving holiday, for those in the US).
A few quick things to bring to your attention for this week:
1. The Start Finishing offer Charlie mentioned in his email Friday ends tomorrow:
Buy Start Finishing (any format) by Tuesday, December 3rd at 11:59 p.m. PST, get access to the companion course, Idea to Done (plus more bonuses if you buy more copies). If you know someone who's contemplating the book, or you yourself want to give the gift that "keeps on giving" - be sure to pick up the book by tomorrow to get the bonuses.
2. If you haven’t yet, would you be up for sharing Start Finishing with your peeps via social media to keep the (Seth Godin list share) momentum going - and maybe surprise Charlie with a WSJ bestseller when he gets back from vacation?
Not sure what to say? Here are a few timely ways to talk about it:
- Tie it into the gifting season. If you've given it as a gift or think it would make a great gift, let folks now.
- Talk about how buying three and gifting two would help people start their Success Pack.
- Tie it into New Year, New You, in however that makes sense for you. If we want to build a different and better future, we have to start finishing the projects that get us there.
- As always, your experience with the book is the most compelling story you can tell
We'd prefer you share the Amazon listing since that's where the party's happening: https://www.amazon.com/Start-Finishing-How-Idea-Done/dp/1683642635/
And here are some click-to-share links for Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn, too.
All sorts of options, and we sure would appreciate the boost.
3. Start Finishing is now live on Reedsy Discovery! https://reedsy.com/discovery/book/start-finishing-how-to-go-from-idea-to-done-charlie-gilkey
Would you please take a moment to head over there and Upvote it? (You’ll need to sign up to access that feature.)
That’s it for now! Thanks, all!
October 28th Updates:
This week's Start Finishing goodness:
- The Start Finishing Product Hunt post is live, so if you haven't yet, it's time to go UPVOTE!
- The PF community SF webinar #2 is tomorrow! Tuesday, October 29, at 1pm PDT/4pm EDT. Here’s the registration link (but note: if you registered for the last community webinar in July, you're already registered for this one): https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Tm7Inv0ZTWy7NOS6wxcs9w
- And one other thing: if you tried to post an Amazon review and were blocked, we'd like to know about it (and whether or not it's still going on, or if Amazon resolved the issue). You can post in the thread in the #streetteam channel on Slack, or send Steve a Slack message directly. Or, if you have emails or other documentation about the issue you're willing to share, you can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Thanks!
Our Friendly Regular Reminder: Please keep getting the word out about the book. Whether it’s a share on social, an Amazon review (and see above!), a discussion on Goodreads… every mention of the book increases the chances that the people who most need the book will hear about it.
Thanks, Team! Have a great week!
October 21st Updates:
Your weekly dose of Start Finishing news!
- Charlie is in Austin tonight! He’ll be at BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd (Austin, TX 78703), starting at 7pm! If you’re near Austin, c’mon out!
- SF events, book clubs, and more: if you’re hosting a Start Finishing event, we’d love to help get the word out! Please let the team know the deets of your event, and we’ll help sound the trumpets and let the PF community know about it.
- If you missed the bonus call last Wednesday, here’s the link to the video replay: https://youtu.be/1UgylmudZKs
- We’ll be starting work on a new blog series in the coming weeks, tentatively titled “Start Finishing Catalyst Stories.” If you have a story of how the book shifted your relationship with finishing projects or doing your best work, we’d love to hear it. More to come on this one as we define/refine it.
Our Friendly Regular Reminder: Please keep getting the word out about the book. Whether it’s a share on social, an Amazon review (you did yours, right?), a discussion on Goodreads… every mention of the book increases the chances that the people who most need the book will hear about it.
Thanks, Team! Have a great week!
October 15th Updates:
Quick update this week:
1. Charlie was in Mesa, AZ this week for a Start Finishing event with Pam Slim! And he'll be in Austin, Texas next Monday, Oct. 21!
2. Right now we're at 47 Amazon ratings/reviews. Almost halfway to our magic 100! If you haven't posted yours yet, please try to get it done this week or next (by the 24th!) That'd help a lot.
3. Same song as last week for those of you having trouble getting your reviews posted on Amazon. Please keep pestering them. We still haven't discovered the secret to getting them to work... just persistence. Thank you for sticking with it!
And see last week's update if you have photos to share or want to get your discussion on with Goodreads.
Thanks for continuing to support Charlie and Start Finishing. So very much appreciated!
October 7th (well, 8th) Updates:
What started as a “quick update” has grown!
Charlie had a great time in New York City this past weekend, with good turnouts at Friday’s session with Jonathan Fields, and at Saturday’s workshop. This week he’s back home in Portland, before heading out to Arizona next week, and Texas the following week!
This week’s reminders/requests:
1. Event Photographs! If you took photos or video at one of the Start Finishing events, please upload your handiwork to this Google Drive the team put together to capture all of them.
2. Amazon Reviews. Thanks to everyone who has posted a review to Amazon. Start Finishing is up to 37 reviews (39 ratings) as of today, thanks to you all!
And yet, there’s more to go. We’d love to see it reach 100 reviews by October 24th (after one month of release)… which is totally possible. Help us do that!
For those who continue to have trouble posting their review to Amazon, please continue to work with Amazon Customer Service to dig into the issue. We haven’t found “the answer” to this particular problem yet, because the reason for the delayed review seems to vary from person to person. We have found Amazon CS not particularly helpful or responsive, so all of us will need to keep trying. If the team discovers any resolution to this problem, we’ll let you know. And if YOU do, please let us know!
3. Goodreads Discussions. We’d love to see more discussions on Start Finishing on Goodreads. If you’d like to start one, we’d love you to do so. If you want some assistance with your question/topic or how to post, ping me here on Slack.
4. Continuing to Get the Word Out. We’d love for Start Finishing to be “the book everyone is talking about.” Please continue to share the book with your friends and colleagues, on social and in the real world. You know the benefits the book has brought for you and your own best work… let’s get out there and share those benefits with other creatives in need of what Start Finishing has to offer.
Signing off from Virtual HQ!
September 30th Updates:
Hey Do Crew!
Hopefully you’ve recovered a little bit from all of last week’s excitement.
We’ll try to go easy (okay, easier) on you this week, but we do have a few standing requests:
- Start Finishing events! If you are hosting a Start Finishing event, please let us know! Team PF would love to support you in getting the word out!And if you’re thinking about hosting an event, let us know how we can help you make it happen! (And remember the Event Field Kit and Facilitator’s Guide, for step-by-step instructions on how to host a great event: https://productiveflourishing.com/start-finishing/street-team/homebase/)
- Amazon Reviews! (Remember the cake!) If you haven’t posted yours yet, please do review: https://www.amazon.com/Start-Finishing-How-Idea-Done/dp/1683642635/
Here’s the link to instructions (for text or video reviews): https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201145120
And if yours doesn’t post within 24 hours, it’s a good idea to check in with Amazon support.
- Goodreads discussions. We’d love your help getting a few discussions going for the book on Goodreads. Here’s a link to the one Rex started last week: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/20560076-what-s-one-project-you-ve-been-meaning-to-do-or-finish-for-a-long-time
If you’re interested in starting another discussion (it’s easy), check in with Steve on Slack (@steve) to get you started with a topic (if you don’t have one of your own already), and get you scheduled (we want to stagger the start of discussions over the course of the week).
- Charlie on tour! Charlie’s having a great time meeting everyone on the book tour! If Charlie’s coming to a city near you, please get the word out, and bring some friends! Here’s the tour schedule: https://productiveflourishing.com/start-finishing/#booktour
Thanks for all the support you continue to provide Charlie and the book. Y’all are amazing!
September 23rd Updates:
Can you feel the excitement in the air? Tomorrow is THE DAY. It’s hard to believe it’s already here… it seemed like just a few weeks ago we were gathering as a street team (not even a Do Crew yet!) for the first time.In preparation for this last charge over this (first) finish line, here are today’s “The Night Before Book Launch” announcements:
- Amazon Reviews! (Remember the cake!) Tomorrow is the all-important push to get your reviews posted. https://www.amazon.com/Start-Finishing-How-Idea-Done/dp/1683642635/ Here’s the link to instructions (for text or video reviews): https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201145120
And you’ll be getting a friendly text reminder tomorrow from Angela (from phone number (971) 248-0677).
- Tomorrow Charlie will be doing a FB Live with Sounds True at 11:30am PT. https://www.facebook.com/soundstrue/posts/10157485200824719. Stop by and show your support!
- Remember our Do Crew Celebration Call on Wednesday, 1pm PT! https://zoom.us/j/473577133
- Goodreads discussions. We’d love your help getting a few discussions going for the book on Goodreads. If you’re interested in starting one up (it’s easy), check in with Steve on Slack (@steve) and I can get you started with a topic (if you don’t have one of your own already), and get you scheduled (we want to stagger the start of discussions over the course of the week).
That’s it for today… it’s time to get some rest before the big day tomorrow!
September 16th Updates:
Can you believe that launch is NEXT WEEK already? We’re super excited, and hope you are, too!
This week’s Do Crew News:
- A reminder that today is the last day for the Start Finishing Goodreads ebook giveaway, giving away 100 copies of the ebook version. If you have anyone you know who might like a copy, send them over to the drawing: http://bit.ly/SFGRDIG
- A new Goodreads giveaway begins tomorrow, 9/17! This time we’re giving away 30 galley copies of the book! This giveaway runs through launch day, 9/24. Link to the drawing: http://bit.ly/SFGRPRT
- Speaking of Goodreads: Start Finishing is the #1 book on the Productivity P*rn Goodreads list, beating both Deep Work and Getting Things Done! (https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/35102.Productivity_Porn_)
- Do Crew Pre-Launch Call: reminder about our pre-launch call with Charlie and the team this Wednesday, 9/18, at 6pm ET, 3pm PT. https://zoom.us/j/473577133
- Do Crew video: Rex has submitted the first draft video to the team today, and it already looks amazing! We can’t wait to share it with you in the coming days!
September 3rd (now 6th!) Updates:
Do Crew Call - Hosting Start Finishing Events: Thank you to everyone who joined in on this call with Joel Zaslofsky! Check out just the audio of the recording, or the full recording over on YouTube.
DC Projects This Week: The Do Crew and PF Team continue to work on Start Finishing projects... the Event Field Kit published this week, and so did the Facilitator's Guide! And the "Fire Tender Home Base" page is ready as well - similar to this page but for Fire Tenders (event hosts), as a resource page for all things "Creative Giant gatherings."
August 26th Updates:
Upcoming Do Crew Calls
The Start Finishing publication date is less than a month away! This is EXCITING stuff, and we want all of us to share in the excitement as “book day” gets nearer. So, we’re announcing three special Do Crew Zoom calls coming up in the month of September:
- Hosting Start Finishing Events - a special Do Crew training call with Joel Zaslofsky - Friday, Sep. 6, 1:45pm ET / 10:45am PT
- Do Crew Pre-Launch Rally Call - Wednesday, Sep. 18, 6pm ET / 3pm PT
- Do Crew Celebration Call - Wednesday, Sep. 25, 4pm ET / 1pm PT
Zoom link(s) for these calls: https://zoom.us/j/473577133
Mark these on your calendars and join us!
Updates on a few Do Crew projects that are nearing completion:
- Facilitator's Guide (and worksheets): This guide is for those who want to conduct book clubs and other discussion groups around Start Finishing. It’s in content review now, before going to design this week. Release: early September. Lead: Ashley Zuberi
- Event Field Kit: This guide is for those who want to host their own Start Finishing launch parties, book clubs, or other Creative Giant gatherings. This is in design now, headed for team review this week. Release: early September. Lead: Joel Zaslofsky
- Book Trailer Video: This super-cool video trailer for the book is now live! Release: Today! Lead: Elizabeth Alarcon
And there are more DC projects in the works!
THE NEW NAME FOR THE STREET TEAM IS: The Do Crew!
Spotlight on @JoelZaslofsky and @Steve Arensberg:
We really appreciate all the work, love, and connections you’ve been sharing about the book. It’s been amazing and two unfathomable awesome souls have stepped up to help us push the ideas and projects to done.
@JoelZaslofsky has volunteered to be a mentor, coach, and supporter for folks who want to run groups and events. He has a lot of experience bringing humans together and will be following up with people who expressed an interest in running a group. Right now, we see three different kinds of groups/events: reading groups (book clubs), launch parties, and book/community action/accountability groups. Yes, that’s a lot of and/ors and slashes, and we’re trying to see what the real interests and needs are. Joel will also be helping us create a field guide for bringing folks together - this will dovetail into the great work @Ashley Zuberi is doing on the facilitation guide that’s more content-focused.
@Steve Arensberg has volunteered to be out project coordinator and partner for people who’ve committed to doing a project. He’ll be checking in, supporting, and making sure you’re not on your own, and he may also be asking if you’d like to join in on current projects in specific ways. Steve’s a b0$$ at project management and I was thrilled to see him raise his hand here.
BOOK TOUR DATES:
Tuesday, September 24 at 6:30pm
Portland, Oregon - Tender Loving Empire
Talk, Q&A, and book signing
Thursday, September 26 at 7pm
San Francisco Area - Book Passage at Corte Madera
Mini-workshop, Q&A, and book signing
Tuesday, October 1st at 7pm
Seattle Area - Third Place Books at Seward Park
Start Finishing workshop
Friday, October 4th at 7pm
New York City Area - New York Open Center
In-Conversation with Jonathan Fields, Q&A, and book signing
Saturday, October 5th 2-5pm
New York City Area - New York Open Center
Start Finishing Today 3 hour workshop
Sunday, October 13th 3pm
Phoenix, AZ - Changing Hands Bookstore
In-Conversation with Pamela Slim
Monday, October 14th 5:30pm
Mesa, AZ - K'é Main Street Learning Lab
Start Finishing Workshop with Pamela Slim
Monday, October 21st 7pm
Austin, TX - BookPeople
Mini-workshop, Q&A, and book signing
Ongoing Things to Note
LOOKING TO SHARE START FINISHING?
Check out our Promo Kit page here.
(Keep in mind it will continue to be updated with more shareable stuff!)
LOOKING TO GET MORE INVOLVED?
If you are one of our Do Crew teammates that wants to be more involved than you already have been, we would love for you to go ahead and proactively schedule a 20-30 minute meeting with Angela ASAP so that she can learn more about you and how to better integrate you into the team.
From other Do Crew conversations we've been having over the last few weeks, it's become super clear that there are many of you who are wanting to be more involved in supporting the book. That has been so exciting for us! An important part of this process is that we welcome each of you into the team to be as involved as you want to be and to do what calls to you and lights you up and we want your help and support.
STREET TEAM RALLY RECORDINGS
Rally #1 from May 6th: Check out the entire call by clicking here, or listen to just the teaching on no-win scenarios.
Rally #2 from June 24th: Check out the entire call by clicking here.
Here are the highlights in case you'd like to skip around on the audio:
• Around the 6 min mark: Recovery as a project (a la the 5 projects rule)
• 8:15 - Charlie teaching on the 5 keys from Chapter 2, especially as it relates to Boundaries and Discipline
• 13:30 - Charlie teaching on Thrashing and Dragons
• 19:30 - Hearing from the Community - each person took a few minutes to share one or two of the following: 1) What Street Team project are they working on?; 2) What has been a stand out piece of SF for them thus far and how has it helped?; or 3) What project are they currently working on and how is SF helping with that?
• 47:00 - Behind the scenes and Announcements - Including advanced praise for the book, book tour info, and more.
• 1:00:00 - Our big request at this time is for Street Team members to leave a review of the book on Goodreads ( https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43973562-start-finishing ) and Charlie tells us about why these reviews are so important.
• 1:04 - Street Team Project Update - an update of many of the current Street Team projects and our request to reach out to Angela or Steve (Street Team project manager) if you'd like to be a part of a project that is happening. (to reach us just @angela or @Steve Arensberg)
• 1:14 - How we're using Success Packs on the Street Team projects. Creating the fun, cool stuff for the book together!
• 1:18 - Questions from the Street Team for Charlie
• 1:33 - Final words from Charlie
Rally #3 from September 18th: Check out the video over on Youtube, or listen to the audio version.
Book Launch Timeline
Mid-May: Full PF Community Pre-order Campaign
Tuesday, September 24th: Book officially LAUNCHES!
September - November: Book Tour! Check out the dates above.
Who's Who at Team PF?
There aren't too many of us here, but in the event you have questions to ask to someone specific, you should know who we are and what we do at PF:
Charlie - Co-founder of PF, author of the book we're all here for, all-around A++ Creative Giant. He'll be sending lots of #streetteam messages and info, but if you want a quick answer to something, he may not be your best bet. 🙂 He's the one in and out of meetings all day and 99% of the time one of us can answer you faster with the same info.
Angela - Co-founder of PF, coach, author, speaker, finance master, unicorn lover, and asker of the best questions. She'll be pretty active in the #streetteam channel, cheering us all on and answering questions.
Shannon - Charlie's scheduler extraordinaire and our administrative miracle worker. She's been around PF for a long time and you may see her occasionally pop into the #streetteam channel.
Jo (Josephine) - Systems guru, project manager, general know-it-all <-- If you don't know who to ask, ASK JO. She knows the answer or knows who knows the answer... And she's always on Slack.
Jess - Design and social media mastermind (our badass digital media producer) and Doer of Anything You Need. She's amazing and really does do #allthethings.
How to Use Slack
Check out this quick, 6-minute video from Jo on Slack for beginners: