If I had to summarize the Top 3 areas of growth and challenge I've seen across all of my non-profit clients, it's alignment, communication, and coordination. Not talent. Not having a compelling mission. Not the environment.
Alignment, communication, and coordination.
All too often, though, organizations start with addressing coordination issues: who's doing what, how, by when, etc. The real question should be "of all the things we're doing, what are the 3-5 projects or activities that are driving real results?"
That "real results" question inevitably pushes them toward alignment and communication challenges, though, because Boards, Executive Committees, EDs, staff, and the community all have different takes on what real results are and what's making the difference. This divergence is exactly why most non-profits are overwhelmed by and trapped in the work: everybody wants something different and they don't have a way of saying Yes to the right things and No to good ideas that just aren't a fit for the organization.
Non-Profit Clients Value My Ability To:
We have dozens of free resources and tools to help you get control of your calendar, to-do list, and projects.
Illuminate, anchor, and build alignment around essential root questions and principles so that we can avoid the murky tension and endless rehashing of conversations
Improve their ability to tell the story of numbers and data, both internally and externally
- Co-create inspiring, simple, clear, and actionable visions, goals, and strategies that make the organization's members excited to show up to do their best work
- Co-create scoreboards, metrics, and roadmaps that quickly build winning teams with the budgets and constraints they have rather
- Clarify their positioning and messaging so that they're not the communities best-kept secret or continually having to fight an uphill battle in justifying their value to the community
- Rework their team's workways so that we increase performance and belonging simultaneously
Services for Non-Profit Clients:
Meeting and retreat facilitation
Leading team workshops
Executive coaching for leaders & managers
Strategy execution advising
- Education, specifically nontraditional higher-ed and early childhood development
- Community health (CHCs, PCAs, etc.)
- Food distribution networks
- Domestic violence
- Experiential learning
- Progressive religious or spiritual organizations
All of my work has equity and justice foundations. The great promise of the non-profit sector is to build the world we want to live in and nonprofits are, at their core, opinionated about the way the world should be. If you or your organization is not interested in conversations about equity, justice, and diversity – and potentially centering your organization around them – we're not a fit. (And if you think "equity and justice" just means "race conversations," that's something you need to work on.)