Click here to listen on your favorite podcast app!
Topics We Explored:
- How much impact culture, family, and upbringing have on our identity, and in turn, makes a difference in how we structure our work and the goals we set
- Why it feels like we are bombarded by marketing and societal messages that make us feel like we aren’t good enough, or aren’t doing enough
- How the importance of validation from these messages and from our peers can delay the things we really want to do
- Many of us are socialized to be the “supporting actor” when really we can be the “lead actor” in our own story
- How, as a community, we can learn to break down resistance to ask for help and more openly offer help to others without expecting much in return
“You could do anything – except everything.” — Charlie Gilkey (Tweet this)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Broken by Jenny Lawson
- Down Girl by Kate Manne
- Tara McMullin
- What Works: A Comprehensive Framework to Change the Way We Approach Goal Setting by Tara McMullin
- What Works
About Tara McMullin:
Tara McMullin is a writer, podcaster, and producer. For over 13 years, she’s studied small business owners — how they live, how they work, what influences them, and what they hope for the future. She’s the host of What Works, a podcast about navigating the 21st-century economy with your humanity intact. Tara is also co-founder of YellowHouse.Media, a boutique podcast production company. Her work has been featured in Fast Company, The Startup, The Muse, and The Huffington Post.
She lives in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania with her husband, daughter, and two lovable cats that showed up in the backyard one day. Her heart is always in the mountains of Montana.
About What Works
What Works helps you go from just trying to keep up to staying ahead of the curve. We offer carefully curated recommendations, a unique lens on headlines that matter to you, and an original analysis of key questions and trends. You’ll find a multidisciplinary approach to work and business, drawing on philosophy, sociology, economics, critical theory, management thinking, and psychology.
Whether you’re a small business owner, independent worker, or creative thinker, What Works offers in-depth, well-researched content you won’t find anywhere else. The weekly podcast and newsletter, as well as our twice-weekly Instagram content, are all free of charge.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on Apple Podcasts to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.
Leave a Reply