Sustainability and ethical practices in the fashion industry were practically unheard of before consultants like Shannon Whitehead stepped in to change the rules of the game. Despite the long, uphill battle of trying to make a break in the fashion industry, Shannon was determined to spread awareness of the fashion industry’s impact on the environment while seeking to create sustainable apparel. On this episode, Shannon shares her strategies for standing behind your mission, even when all odds are against you.
Topics We Explored:
- Why Shannon chose to start a sustainable-apparel company despite the risks involved
- How Shannon (a journalism major) and her co-founder (a business major) chose apparel as the industry to enter together
- Which challenges to consider if you’re thinking about starting a clothing line
- The shocking facts about fashion’s impact on the environment, and why sustainability in apparel manufacturing is so critical
- Which business trends are disrupting the fashion industry
“Success comes from putting one foot in front of the other and knowing how to get to where you want to go.” -Shannon Whitehead (Tweet this)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Versalette: One garment, 30 ways to wear
- Project 333
- How to Lead Through Disruption
- Cory Huff
- Heidi McKenzie
About Shannon Whitehead:
Shannon Whitehead is fixed on changing the fashion industry one entrepreneur at a time. Having launched her own sustainable-apparel company in 2010, Shannon knows firsthand that the fashion industry is one of the hardest to break into.
Based on her struggles and successes, including the launch of the highest-funded fashion project in Kickstarter history — she’s founded an accelerator program, Factory45, that takes sustainable-apparel companies from idea to launch — without raising VC funding. Every startup that’s completed the program and then launched a Kickstarter has been successfully funded.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.
clothing fashion says
This is very nice post. It is also very helpful for us. I have been searching this types of article. Some days ago I read an article about clothing fashion, but this post is better than post.