Topics We Explored:
- Why relationships are such an important part of our lives and, at the same time, why the challenges that come with them can be so detrimental within our lives
- Why most of us think with our feelings first, as opposed to thinking first with our thoughts
- How to approach relationships from a lense of work, and how you can get a relationship to a place where the two of you thrive together
- How those in a relationship may define their principles and vision, and what the difference is between surviving and thriving in a relationship
- What you can do to outline non-negotiables and deal breakers at the beginning of a relationship
“Of all the things we do, love, compared to work, is by far the hardest.” – Stan Tatkin (Tweet this)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Relationships Are Hard, But Why? TEDx Talk by Stan Tatkin
- Stan Tatkin
- Todd Kashdan: What’s Lurking in the Basement of Your Personality? (Episode 68)
- Penelope Trunk: Asperger’s, Creativity, and the Education System (Episode 169)
- Daughters by John Mayer
- How to Develop Your Family Mission Statement by Stephen Covey
- The PACT Institute
About Stan Tatkin:
Dr. Stan Tatkin is a clinician, author, PACT developer, and co-founder of the PACT (Psychobiological Approach to Couple Therapy) Institute, and assistant clinical professor at UCLA, David Geffen School of Medicine. He maintains a private practice in Southern California and leads PACT programs in the US and internationally. He is the author Wired for Dating, Wired for Love, Your Brain on Love, Relationship RX, We Do, and co-author of Love and War in Intimate Relationships.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.
Episode 191 is sponsored by SaneBox. SaneBox monitors your email and makes sure that the important stuff gets your attention. We’ve partnered with SaneBox to give you $25 toward a premium membership. Take advantage of this discount and get control of your inbox with SaneBox.