Topics We Explored:
- Why the bar is set so high for artists in today’s world
- How learning to surf serves as a metaphor for an artist’s journey
- What motto Charlie lives by when it comes to getting out of his comfort zone
- How deliberate practice can enhance your learning experience
- Which thought patterns keep artists from creating unmistakable work
- What strategy Srinivas uses to create anticipation within his virtual audiences
- What approach to innovation Srini adopted from Steve Jobs
- Why Srini spent $1000 on the design of his free ebook
- How Srini balances frequency and quality in his work
“If you’re going to be an eternal master, you have to be a perpetual student.” – Srinivas Rao (Tweet this)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Nancy Duarte
- Seth Godin’s blog
- Episode 28: The Art of Being Unmistakable with Srinivas Rao
- Deliberate practice
- K. Anders Ericsson
- Quote about habits
- Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin
- Mars Dorian
- Friday Night Lights
- Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries by Peter Sims
- Chris Rock
- Ashley Ambirge
- Inside Steve’s Brain by Leander Kahney
- The Compass, a free ebook by Srinivas Rao
- Ryan Holiday
- Jonathan Fields
- Episode 3: Pick Yourself with Seth Godin
About Srinivas Rao:
Srini Rao is the host and founder of the Unmistakable Creative podcast, on which he’s conducted over 600 interviews with thought leaders and people from all walks of life. He’s written multiple books, including the Wall Street Journal bestseller The Art of Being Unmistakable; created, planned, and executed a 60-person conference called The Instigator Experience; and is the author of the newly published book Unmistakable with Penguin Portfolio. Somewhere along the way, his compass led him in the direction of an economics degree from the University of California at Berkeley and an MBA from Pepperdine University.
Extracting unmistakable stories from people is his superpower. In his spare time, he’s usually chasing waves.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.
Episode 103 is sponsored by Sanebox. Sanebox monitors your email and makes sure that the important stuff gets your attention. We’ve partnered with Sanebox to give you $25 toward a premium membership. Take advantage of this discount and get control of your inbox with Sanebox.