Topics We Explored:
- This episode is a re-share of a Spotify Live conversation Charlie had with two of his favorite people, collaborators, catalysts, and authors, Jenny Blake and Tara McMullin, to answer one of life’s biggest mysteries — do we really have the same 24 hours as Beyoncé?
- This question led them to the idea of capacity which Charlie defines as your time, energy, attention, and money (TEAM) – none of which are the same for everyone. All of our 24 hours look different!
- Charlie also talked about team capacity, how to account for it, how to harness it, and how to balance between the two extremes of burnout and boredom.
- We live in a media environment saturated with messages about how much more we could be doing. But this kind of hustle culture is really an unhelpful attempt to deal with larger problems in the 21st-Century economy.
- Charlie’s challenge: do a one-for-one trade out of projects. Drop an economic project that really doesn’t have to happen this quarter and replace it with a self-care project that would really fuel you.
“I would like people to start thinking in terms of [noticing when they’re] being overloaded; because you’re never really overwhelmed when you’re not overloaded.” — Charlie Gilkey
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Team Habits, Charlie’s new book (pre-order available)
- “Clock Time, Unpaid Work and Inequality” by Tara McMullin
- Free Time: Lose The Busywork, Love Your Business by Jenny Blake
- What Works: A Comprehensive Framework to Change the Way We Approach Goal Setting by Tara McMullin
About the cast:
Jenny Blake is an author, podcaster, and keynote speaker who loves helping business owners move from friction to flow through smarter systems, powered by Delightfully Tiny Teams as described in her latest book, Free Time: Loose the Busywork, Love Your Business. Jenny’s previous book, Pivot: The Only Move That Matters Is Your Next One, won the Axiom award for best business book in the careers category in 2016.
Tara McMullin is a writer, podcaster, and producer. For over 13 years, she’s studied small business owners—how they live, how they work, what influences them, and what they hope for the future. She’s the author of What Works, and a podcast by the same name on navigating the 21st-century economy with your humanity intact . Tara is also a co-founder of YellowHouse.Media, a boutique podcast production company. Her work has been featured in Fast Company, The Startup, The Muse, and The Huffington Post.
Charlie Gilkey is the founder of Productive Flourishing and is internationally known as a thought leader on productivity, planning, strategy, and leadership for creative people. Charlie is the author of The Small Business Life Cycle and Start Finishing. His new book, Team Habits, will be published with Hachette Go in August 2023.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on Apple Podcasts to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.