- Ruby Vesely and Eric Spencer, two of the co-authors of You, Me, We: Why We All Need a Friend at Work (And How to Show Up As One!), weigh in on how we can form meaningful connections in the workplace, and why it’s so crucial to our well-being. But before we get too comfortable though, an important takeaway: to have allies, you’ve got to be one yourself.
- Every job requires building relationships with the people on our teams. Charlie asks Ruby and Eric what it was like to work as a trio on their book, with co-author Morag Barrett — and how to gauge if you are showing up as a best friend and ally in your workplace.
- Together they discuss what creates meaningful relationships and what intentional choices you can make to be an ally, by building on these five components: 1) abundance and generosity, 2) connection and compassion, 3) courage and vulnerability, 4) candor and debate, and 5) action and accountability.
- Eric and Ruby’s challenge: We tend to underestimate the importance of relationships at work, so let’s start giving them their proper place… But while doing that, lean into the hard conversations. If you’re curious how you personally can be a better ally, try out the Ally Mindset Profile Quiz (see below).
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- You, Me, We: Why We All Need a Friend at Work (And How to Show Up As One!) by Morag Barrett, Eric Spencer, and Ruby Vesely
- Ally Mindset Profile
- John Gottman
About the cast:
Ruby Vesely, CSO for SkyeTeam, is a sought-out executive coach, and savvy leadership development expert with over 20 years of experience in a variety of industries and organizations. She has an MS in organizational leadership from Regis University and is a certified executive coach. Ruby has served various nonprofits, currently working with her local homeless outreach organization (H.O.P.E.), serving as street outreach team member, board member, and fundraising team leader. She lives in Longmont, Colorado.
Eric Spencer, COO for SkyeTeam, has more than 20 years of experience building and shaping human resources organizations, and delivering HR and leadership development programs for organizations ranging from startups to Fortune 100 companies. Prior to joining SkyeTeam, Eric served in leadership capacities at P3 Group, Local Matters, Level 3 Communications, and Target Corporation. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in Management from Arizona State University and an MBA with a focus in Organizational Behavior from Virginia Tech. He lives in Arvada, Colorado.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on Apple Podcasts to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.