Topics We Explored:
- How Mark’s experience with lymphoma in his 30s was his introduction to facing the unavoidable friction that comes with life
- The COVID-19 pandemic, and the challenges that have shown our generation it’s time to learn to choose love over fear, and compassion over self-interest
- Every one of us has a choice between love and fear, but there’s a difference between letting fear move through us and obeying it
- Mark’s challenge and invitation to you: inhabit fully the life that you’re given and find ways to be open-hearted and loving
“I feel intuitively the importance for us to restore our direct connection to life. Because without it, we lose our reverence for life.” — Mark Nepo (Tweet this)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- No Mud, No Lotus: The Art of Transforming Suffering by Thich Nhat Hanh
- Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day by Jay Shetty
- The Social Dilemma
- Surviving Storms: Finding the Strength To Meet Adversity by Mark Nepo
About Mark Nepo:
Mark Nepo is a poet and spiritual adviser who has taught in the fields of poetry and spirituality for over 40 years. With over a million copies sold, Mark has moved and inspired readers and seekers all over the world with his #1 New York Times bestseller The Book of Awakening. A beloved poet, teacher, and storyteller, Mark has been called “one of the finest spiritual guides of our time,” “a consummate storyteller,” and “an eloquent spiritual teacher.” His work is widely accessible and his books have been translated into more than twenty languages. A bestselling author, Mark has published twenty-two books and recorded fifteen audio projects. In September 2022, his twenty-third book, Surviving Storms: Finding the Strength to Meet Adversity, was published (St. Martin’s Essentials). Recent work includes The Book of Soul (St. Martin’s Essentials, 2020), which was honored by Spirituality & Practice as one of the Best Spiritual Books of 2020; Drinking from the River of Light (Sounds True, 2019), a Nautilus Book Award Winner; More Together Than Alone (Atria, 2018) cited by Spirituality & Practice as one of the Best Spiritual Books of 2018; and Things That Join the Sea and the Sky (Sounds True, 2017), a Nautilus Book Award Winner. Mark is a regular columnist for Spirituality & Health Magazine.
In 2015 Mark was given a Life-Achievement Award by AgeNation; in 2016 he was named by Watkins: Mind Body Spirit as one of the 100 Most Spiritually Influential Living People, and was also chosen as one of OWN’s SuperSoul 100, a group of inspired leaders using their gifts and voices to elevate humanity. Mark appeared several times with Oprah on her Super Soul Sunday program on OWN TV and was part of Oprah’s The Life You Want Tour in 2014. Robin Roberts has also interviewed him on Good Morning America.
In his 30s Mark was diagnosed with a rare form of lymphoma, a struggle that helped to form his philosophy of experiencing life fully while staying in relationship to an unknowable future. Mark devotes his writing and teaching to the journey of inner transformation and the life of relationship. He continues to offer readings, lectures, and retreats. For info on his courses, webinars, retreats, and books, visit Live.MarkNepo.com, MarkNepo.com, and ThreeIntentions.com, where you can sign up for his Weekly Reflections newsletter. He is represented by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on Apple Podcasts to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.