Topics We Explored:
- How Mark’s experience with cancer in his 30’s changed his understanding of art and expression
- The dichotomies of success and failure in creative work, and how it compares to other environments, such as the sports world
- Why we often discover material rather than invent it, and why that may require us to surrender some control and open ourselves up to that discovery
- How writer’s block often indicates that we need to clear things out to be present again, rather than simply not having anything to say
“I believe in effort and grace. The reason I believe in effort is because I don’t know when grace is going to show up.”– Mark Nepo (Tweet this.)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Mark Nepo
- Drinking From the River of Light by Mark Nepo
- Mark Nepo: More Together Than Alone (Episode 201)
- Waking Up the World: The Sounds True Book Club
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Three Spiritual Journeys
- Start Finishing: How to Go from Idea to Done by Charlie Gilkey
About Mark Nepo:
Mark Nepo moved and inspired readers and seekers all over the world with his #1 New York Times bestseller The Book of Awakening. Beloved as a poet, teacher, and storyteller, Mark has been called “one of the finest spiritual guides of our time,” “a consummate storyteller,” and “an eloquent spiritual teacher.” His work is widely accessible and used by many and his books have been translated into more than twenty languages. A bestselling author, he has published twenty-one books and recorded fourteen audio projects. Recent work includes Drinking from the River of Light (Sounds True, 2019); More Together Than Alone (Atria, 2018), cited by Spirituality & Practice as one of the Best Spiritual Books of 2018; and Things that Join the Sea and the Sky (Sounds True, 2017), a Nautilus Book Award winner.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on Apple Podcasts to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.
Episode 209 is sponsored by SaneBox. SaneBox monitors your email and makes sure that the important stuff gets your attention. We’ve partnered with SaneBox to give you $25 toward a premium membership. Take advantage of this discount and get control of your inbox with SaneBox.
Leave a Reply