Highlights of This Episode:
- The question Jonathon and Quinn asked each other that led to their decision to quit their corporate jobs and go to Nicaragua
- How Jonathon and Quinn immersed themselves in the local culture before starting their business
- How Life Out of the Box (LOOTB) customers can see the impact of their purchases
- Why the logistics of LOOTB make it seem like two businesses in one
- Ways Jonathon and Quinn are finding to give to various countries without actually being there
- How they view failure
- What their hardest challenge was when starting out
- How they face the challenge of balancing their work and their relationship
- How the LOOTB experience has changed Jonathon and Quinn for the better
“Take one step today to live your life out of the box. You never know what might happen if you take that step.” –Charlie Gilkey (Click to share – thanks!)
About Jonathon and Quinn:
At age 25, Jonathon Button and Quinn Vandenberg left everything behind in California and moved to Nicaragua with just two backpacks and a huge passion to start something that allowed them and those around them to make an impact on the world. After six months of living like locals, living on $2.00 a day, and working with local educational non-profits and local artisans, Quinn and Jonathon launched Life Out of the Box from their tiny $4.00-a-night hostel.
Life Out of the Box (LOOTB) is a social venture that works with local artisans around the world to create unique handmade products that help support education in developing countries. For every LOOTB item they sell, they give school supplies to a child in a developing country. As Jonathon and Quinn travel around the world, looking for new handmade products to develop with local artisans, they continue to work with various non-profit organizations to find out how they can make the biggest difference in each community they work in.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.