Highlights of This Episode:
- The biggest lesson John learned from his first business
- How he describes his career, and how it varies from what he thought it might be when he started it
- Which moments in his career showed him that it was time to go in a new direction
- The two most common reasons that people decide that it’s time to sell their companies
- The most surprising feedback that John has received about his book Built to Sell
- How the economy is changing – and more opportunities are arising – as more people realize that they need to pay for good content online
- Options for handling the shift from a standard selling model to a subscription-based business
- Why you need to know the ratio between the lifetime value of a customer and the cost to acquire a customer
- What John’s biggest challenge is right now
“For a business to be valuable, it’s really got to run without you.” –John Warrillow (Click to share – thanks!)
About John Warrillow:
John Warrillow is the creator of The Value Builder System, a statistically proven methodology for improving a company’s value by up to 71%. John is also the creator of The Sellability Score and the author of the bestselling book Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You, which was recognized by both Fortune and Inc. magazines as one of the best business books of 2011. Built to Sell has been translated into four languages. John’s new book, The Automatic Customer: Creating A Subscription Business In Any Industry, was released by Random House in February 2015.
Before starting The Value Builder System, John started and exited four companies, including a quantitative market research business that was acquired by The Corporate Executive Board (NYSE: CEB) in 2008. John has been recognized by B2B Marketing as one of the top 10 business-to-business marketers in the United States.
An aging but avid sportsman, John has dragged his body around five marathon courses, one Ironman triathlon, and the L’Etape du Tour bike race.
John was born in England and grew up in Canada. He now lives with his family in Toronto.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You
- The Automatic Customer: Creating a Subscription Business in Any Industry
- The Value Builder System
- Greig Clark, College Pro
- Tim Ferriss
- The E Myth, Michael Gerber
- Seth Godin
- Starbucks Subscriptions
- AMC Theatres Subscription
- Apple Subscriptions
- Amazon Subscriptions
- The Wood Whisperer
- Who Moved My Cheese?
- Gary Vaynerchuk
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.