Highlights of This Episode:
- How Johnny and his writing partners crank out so much material
- How Johnny keeps his internal editor out of the way
- The winding path Johnny took on his way to doing what he does now
- Why it’s important to claim what it is that you do and what you do well
- How he benefited from self-publishing
- How a series of small iterative improvements added up to a flourishing business
- Why you need to be a creative person first and a businessperson second
“There’s no substitute for hard work” –Johnny B. Truant (Click to share – thanks!)
About Johnny B. Truant:
Johnny B. Truant is a speaker, co-host of the top-rated Self-Publishing Podcast, co-author of the #1 Marketing bestseller Write. Publish. Repeat: The No-Luck-Required Guide to Self-Publishing Success, and the author of well over 2 million words of popular fiction.
In 2014, Johnny, along with his writing partner Sean Platt (founder of publisher Sterling & Stone) and David W. Wright (#1 horror author of the Yesterday’s Gone series), launched Fiction Unboxed — a record-setting Kickstarter project in which Johnny and Sean wrote a full-length novel in 30 days, starting without any ideas or genre, in front of a live audience, sharing every detail of the process, including story meetings, emails, and raw story drafts.
Johnny’s fiction works (mostly co-authored with Sean Platt) include the political sci-fi serial The Beam, the fantasy/western mash-up Unicorn Western books, the satirical Fat Vampire series, the literary mindbender Axis of Aaron, and too many others to count.
Johnny, Sean, and David host their trendsetting, boundary-pushing podcasts every week on YouTube, iTunes, and their independent author website at SterlingAndStone.net.
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Body of Work by Pam Slim
- Write. Publish. Repeat. by Johnny B. Truant
- Other Johnny B. Truant Books
- Sterling & Stone
- Self-Publishing Podcast
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.