Topics We Explored:
- Why understanding the masks we wear is crucial to our career and personal success
- How to identify the types of masks you wear and which are appropriate at the right time
- Which three levels of awareness we need to maintain at all times
- How authenticity and transparency are different, and how to know when each is appropriate
- What attitudes creatives and entrepreneurs get tripped up on, and how to turn them around
“We sometimes think that we’ve hit our capability of resilience, when really, we have to say ‘no, self, there’s room to push.’ We’re strong by design. We were built to withstand.” – Dr. Atira Charles (Tweet this)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Stereotype threat
- “Most people never run far enough on their first wind to find out they’ve got a second.” – William James (Tweet this)
- What to Do If You’re Feeling Scattered
- How To Get Out Of Your Business Comfort Zone
- The Four Levels of Communication
- Episode 39: Be True to Yourself with Natalie Sisson
About Dr. Atira Charles:
Dr. Atira Charles is an Assistant Professor of Management in the School of Business & Industry at Florida A&M University and CEO of Think Actuality, LLC. Through her research, consulting, and training facilitation, Atira seeks to shed light on how individuals manage their differences while striving for personal, professional, and organizational success.
Specializing in racial and gender identity management in the workplace, Atira provides workshops, coaching, and consultative services that aim to build more authentic, inclusive, and engaging work experiences. She has been featured in Black Enterprise Magazine and ESSENCE, and has won numerous awards such as the Florida State University Guardian of the Flame Award and the FAMU Outstanding 125 Alumni Award. Her most important professional accomplishment is doing all of this work with three beautiful children under the age of 8!
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.