Topics We Explored:
- Why, over time, changes in the education system don’t always align with changes in social systems, and why the classroom environment may not work for everybody
- How society has come to hire people based on credentials, rather than knowledge
- What today’s options are for young people regarding the type of educational system that works for their unique situation and skillset
- Why students might benefit more from education that’s based around critical thinking, reasoning, and decision making
“It makes a lot more sense for national intelligence to have an effect on national prosperity, because we’re always using our intelligence all the time. Every job requires intelligence.” – Bryan Caplan (Tweet this)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- The Case Against Education by Bryan Caplan
- Bryan Caplan
- Todd Kashdan
- Seth Godin
- Michelle Jones and Austin Goldberg: Wayfinding Academy 101 (Episode 153)
- Penelope Trunk: Asperger’s, Creativity, and the Education System (Episode 169)
About Bryan Caplan:
Bryan Caplan is a Professor of Economics at George Mason University, blogger for Econ-log, and author of The Case Against Education: Why the Education System Is a Waste of Time and Money, as well as The Myth of the Rational Voter, named “the best political book of the year” by the New York Times. He is currently collaborating with Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal’s Zach Weinersmith on All Roads Lead to Open Borders, a non-fiction graphic novel on the philosophy and social science of immigration. He’s been published in the New York Times, Washington Post, Wall Street Journal, The Atlantic, and American Economic Review, and has appeared on ABC, Fox News, MSNBC, and C-SPAN. An openly nerdy man who loves role-playing games and graphic novels, he lives in Virginia with his wife and four kids.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.
Episode 186 is sponsored by SaneBox. SaneBox monitors your email and makes sure that the important stuff gets your attention. We’ve partnered with SaneBox to give you $25 toward a premium membership. Take advantage of this discount and get control of your inbox with SaneBox.