Topics We Explored:
- Why people in marginalized groups are still subject to hurting or offending others
- Why it’s so important to build relationships with people who aren’t like you, in an effort to build trust among different communities
- What identity fluidity is and how it can be influenced by the context of your situation
- How we can find compassion for ourselves and others even through the combativeness of the world today
- What you can do to interact with people you don’t agree with, and how you can navigate those uncomfortable conversations with family members
“We’re so attached to our moral high ground, that that clouds our ability to be able to genuinely listen without judgement, and truly learn more about their perspective.” – Ash Beckham (Tweet this)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- TEDx Talk: Coming Out of Your Closet
- TEDx Talk: Owning Your Duality
- Ash Beckham
- Fiona Dawson: Living a Fluid Life (Episode 144)
About Ash Beckham:
Ash Beckham is a bold, dynamic presenter who speaks about empathy, respect, and the power of having real conversations. Online videos of her TEDx talks “Coming Out of Your Closet” and “Owning Your Duality” and her Boulder Ignite speech “I am SO GAY” have gone viral with more than 10 million YouTube views. Significantly, her message has also become a topic of global discussion. Ash reaches millions every day as her inspiring speeches are experienced in classrooms, boardrooms, and auditoriums around the world.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.
Episode 190 is sponsored by SaneBox. SaneBox monitors your email and makes sure that the important stuff gets your attention. We’ve partnered with SaneBox to give you $25 toward a premium membership. Take advantage of this discount and get control of your inbox with SaneBox.