Learn to Plan the Right Way
Planning Resources by Productive Flourishing
Here’s the truth: planning the right way helps you get the right things done. The time spent doing it is well worth it because we lose more time by not doing it.
“Men never plan to be failures; they simply fail to plan to be successful.” –William Arthur Ward
Many people resist planning because they feel constrained by the process and by their actual plans. That feeling is understandable but unnecessary. Planning, done right, is really an awareness-generating exercise. It helps you determine:
- Where you’re going
- What resources you have available
- What courses of action you have available
- What obstacles you may face, and
- How to course-correct once you start
Planning Augments Your Creativity
Somewhere along the way, creatives bought into the myth that planning is contrary to the creative process.
Think of planning this way instead: imagine your creativity as water. It can fill many shapes and have many functions. Planning simply creates a useful container for your creativity. It’s the difference between pouring water out on an empty table and pouring it into a cup. The cup (plan) makes the water (your creativity) useful.
Planning Is a Big Deal Around Here
Productivity isn’t just about getting more stuff done; it’s about doing the things that cultivate flourishing. (Hence the name Productive Flourishing.)
Planning is a big deal around here because you’re a big deal. I want you to harness the power you have as a Creative Giant. Imagine what would happen if you really used your talents and genius in a more focused way. My approach to planning helps you stand taller and step bigger.
While planning can seem quite basic, mastering the basics allows you to master ever-greater challenges. Conversely, not being able to plan effectively keeps you from doing the truly great things you’d otherwise be able to do.
Below is a list of planning resources to help you make plans that work so you can finish what matters to you.
- How to Be a Productive Powerhouse Using Time Blocking
- 7 Ways to Write Better Action Items
- How to Set SMART Goals
- How Best-By Dates Make Us More Effective
- You Have to Make Time to Make Time
- Mastering Your To-Do List
Principles of Planning
- A General Theory of Productivity
- A Special Theory of Productivity
- How Heat Mapping Your Productivity Can Make You More Productive
- Why Are You Trying to Save Time?
- The Benefits of Displacement
- Why Strategic Planning Is So Hard for Creative People
- Assume You’ll Succeed When You’re Planning
- What’s the Next Action?
- If You’re Planning Effectively, You’ll Always Be Changing Your Plans