If your audience is ready to figure out what to do with all the information they’ve been hearing and start taking action, Charlie Gilkey is an ideal choice to speak at your event. Listeners will walk away from his presentations with at least one insight that opens up their next step, takes their business forward, and all in a way that respects where they are on their journey. Listeners don’t just feel better – they’re armed to do better.
Already know you want Charlie at your event? Click here to contact us.
Charlie Gilkey is an in-demand trainer, speaker, and business growth advisor who helps small businesses start finishing the stuff that matters. Focusing on strategy, planning, execution, and leadership development, Charlie has worked with hundreds of business owner-executives. He has a keen understanding of what makes individuals, organizations, and the marketplace tick, and he is known for sharing those insights in accessible, actionable ways. His work is regularly featured in places like Inc.com, BNET, MSNBC, Project Domino, Under30CEO, Upmarket, Small Business MO, and Carol Roth’s Unsolicited Business Advice Blog. Charlie’s book The Small Business Life Cycle helps small business owners grow their businesses strategically by taking the right steps at the right time and is an Amazon bestseller.
Charlie prefers to tailor the content of his presentations to meet the goals and needs of the organizations hosting him. He is known for his approachable demeanor, engaging natural storytelling, and his use of interactivity with the audience. Every presentation includes original content, and he excels at synthesizing the insights previous speakers have shared into his talks. He’s particularly suited for being the last presenter since he can tie many threads into a coherent, grounding, and actionable tapestry.
Speeches for Leaders and Organizations
Fix the Plane While Flying It: How to Create a Strategy Your Team Can Use in Two Hours
Most leaders and organizations make strategy-making so hard that it never gets done, and you can’t communicate a strategy you don’t have. At the same time, leaders need results yesterday and are stuck fighting the fires caused by not communicating vision and direction. This presentation shows leaders how to create a quick strategy and roadmap that their teams can follow in two hours (or less).
The Five Keys to Building High-Performance Teams
High-performance teams don’t just create themselves – they’re a product of intentionally putting together the pieces that enable teams to perform at that level. This presentation shares the five keys leaders must put in place to achieve high-performance. Hint: hiring great performers is one of the least important pieces of the puzzle.
Say More With Fewer Words: Communication Strategies That Get Better Results in Less Time
Teams have to do more with fewer people in less time than ever before. Leaders and managers are caught in the bind that they don’t have time to communicate but don’t have time not to. This presentation shares actionable tips, strategies, and communication shortcuts that enable fully-engaged teams to communicate in less time while still getting superior results.
Speeches for Entrepreneurial Audiences:
The Small Fire Strategy: How Focusing on Going Deep Leads to Big Growth
A lot of entrepreneurs have been told some variation of “go big or go home” and that’s either burnt them out or fizzled their flame. This presentation shows entrepreneurs a third way to grow their businesses that actually serves them and their customers.
How to Navigate the 5 Stages of Small Business Growth
Entrepreneurs often think about taking their business to the “next level” without a clear idea of what that means. They thus struggle because they’re focusing on the wrong thing at the wrong time. This presentation shows entrepreneurs and small business owners how small businesses grow so that they can orient and prioritize their efforts to grow.
You Don’t Need Better Ideas – You Need Better Strategy Execution
If great ideas were all that were needed, far more businesses would be successful. The businesses that thrive are the ones that combine a good idea with excellent strategy execution. This presentation shows entrepreneurs and small business owners how to develop a simple strategy that cuts out the bloat and gets them on the road to greater success.
Speeches Appropriate for All Audiences
Start Finishing: How to Ship Your Best Work without Burning Out
Doing your best work requires mindsets and skillsets that just aren’t taught in school and are often learned too late in life. This presentation shares simple strategies and frameworks that get people out of their heads so they start finishing their best work.
Block it Out: How To Create More Time To Create
Most people don’t need to be more creative — they need to create more time to create. This presentation shares a planning and prioritization method that helps people avoid the trap of waiting for the time to be right for them to create and instead start creating that time to create.
Your Story About Yourself is Wrong: How to Rewrite the 5 Common Self-Limiting Beliefs
The difference between successful people and those who are stuck is that successful people become aware of the stories and limiting beliefs they have about themselves and actively work to create new ones that support their success. This presentation shares the 5 most common limiting beliefs that I’ve encountered as I’ve worked with and interviewed hundreds of creatives, leaders, and entrepreneurs.
Past Speaking Engagements
2017 Speaking Engagements
- January 2017: “Start Finishing This Year” – Wayfinding Academy
- February 2017: “Start Finishing: 3 Key Strategies to Simplify Your Plans, Enjoy the Process, and Do Your Best Work” – Think Better, Live Better
- May 2017: “Systems Thinking for Conscious Business Owners” – The 108
2016 Speaking Engagements
- October 2016: “The Small Business Life Cycle: What to Navigate and Accelerate Your Business’s Growth” for PetCare VISIBILITY, hosted by Joshua Cary
- August 2016: “Start Finishing: The 10 Keys to Doing Your Best Work” – CampGLP, hosted by Jonathan Fields
- August 2016: “Start Finishing: 3 Keys Strategies to Go From Idea to Done” Think Better, Live Better Academy for World Domination Summit
- July 2016: “Strategic Customer Development for Small Business” for Portland Small Business Development Center
- May 2016: “Authority Behind the Scenes with Pamela Wilson” for Copyblogger
- April 2016: “Winning Strategies Aren’t About Ideas – They’re About Execution” for Quiet Power Strategy Summit
- January 2016: “Start Finishing This Year” for Wayfinding Academy
- January 2016: “Start Finishing: 3 Key Strategies to Simplify Your Plans, Enjoy the Process, and Do Your Best Work” for Think Better, Live Better
2015 Speaking Engagements
- October 2015: “Start Finishing: 3 Key Strategies to Simplify Your Plans, Enjoy the Process, and Do Your Best Work” for SimpleRev
- August 2015: “Work Smarter, Not Harder – Using Systems Thinking to Get Better Results in Your Business” for Portland Small Business Development Center
- August 2015: “Start Finishing: The 10 Keys to Doing Your Best Work” for CampGLP, hosted by Jonathan Fields
- June 2015: “Strategic Customer Development” for Portland Small Business Development Center
- May 2015: “Navigating the Stages of Business Growth” for Small Business Website Masterclass with Pia Larson
- February 2015: “How to Prioritize and Sequence Your Strategic Goals” for Protect and Profit from Your Intellectual Property with Rachel Rodgers – CreativeLive
2014 Speaking Engagements
- October 2014: “Implementation So You Can Make Money” for IPA Series
- October 2014: “Work Smarter, Not Harder – Using Systems Thinking to Get Better Results in Your Business” for Portland Small Business Development Center
- September 2014: “Strategic Customer Development” for Portland Small Business Development Center
- June 2014: “The 8Ps for Moving from a Helping Hunch to a Sellable Service Offering” for The Good Life Project Academy
- June 2014: “Work Smarter, Not Harder – Using Systems Thinking to Get Better Results in Your Business” for Portland Small Business Development Center
- March 2014: “Strategic Customer Development” for Small Business Development Center
2013 Speaking Engagements
- November 2013: “Rock the Halls: Holiday Time Management and Productivity Tips for Online Entrepreneurs” for CopyBlogger
- October 2013: “Communication Matchmaking: Managing Communication Styles, Preferences, and Technology” for Citrix
- October 2013: “The World Is Your Marketplace” for Small Business Development Center
- July 2103: “Marketing the Right Things At The Right Time: How You Market Depends on Where You Are” for DexOne
- May 2013: “5 Overlooked Principles of Execution” – SOBCon
- May 2013: “Good Communication Saves More Time Than It Takes” for Toastmasters International
- April 2013: “Money Talks: The Real Business Benefits of Effective Communication” for Citrix
- 2013: “Strategy Execution for Entrepreneurial Success” – GLP Immersion
2012 Speaking Engagements
- July 2012: Panelist at the Portland DexOne Local Leadership Event
- May 2012: “Effective Decision-Making Made Easy” for SOBCon
2011 Speaking Engagements
- October 2011: “It’s Not About What You Value, It’s About What They Value” for Molly Gordon Self-Employment Telesummit
- September 2011: “How to Find – And Focus On – What Actually Matters In Your Business” for Casey Truffo’s Practice Building Conference
- June 2011: “How to Embrace the No Man’s Land of Authorship” for Book Breakthrough NYC
- June 2011: Navigating the Small Business Life Cycle – Profit Catalyst
- May 2011: “How to Grow Your Business, One Stage and Season At A Time” for the Young Women Social Entrepreneur group in Portland, Oregon
2010 Speaking Engagements
- October 2010: “Go Big or Go Home .. or Go Deep,” for Andrea Lee’s Wealthy Thought Leader Event
- October 2010: “Content Creation and Management Strategies” for the Hillsboro Chamber of Commerce’s “Social Media for Sales Success” workshop
2009 Speaking Engagements
- Jan 2009: “Project Management Within Academia,” for the University of Nebraska Draught Mitigation Team
Click here to view the full presentations
“When Charlie Gilkey is at the microphone, you can count on information and interaction that engage, energize, and motivate while making the path forward look natural and easy. Whether it’s a private meeting, panel of experts, or a presentation, don’t miss a chance to hear Charlie sharing his expertise on business online and off.”
Liz Strauss, International Business Strategist and CEO of SOBCon
Charlie is one of the best people to work with I’ve ever met. He’s easy going, smart, and delivers more than he promises. As a presenter in the 2010 Self Employment Telesummit he simplified complex business choices without dumbing them down–quite a feat.
I highly recommend Charlie as a teacher, mentor, and guide.
Molly Gordon, ShaboomInc.com
“Charlie Gilkey’s advice is always direct and succinct. In other words, he is always on target!”
Barry Moltz, award-winning author, speaker, and consultant, from BarryMoltz.com
“Charlie is one of the “go-to” people in our SOBCon family, for a very good reason: he is a unique and powerful communicator, a wonderful skill which he has put to great use in front of our audience at our SOBCon event in Chicago, and will again at our upcoming event in Portland. He has an ability to cut to the core of a lesson or issue, and present it with absolute clarity and purpose, compelling people to take positive action. We are honored to have him on our SOBCon team”
Terry “Starbucker” St. Marie; writer, consultant, and co-founder of SOBCon, from TerryStarbucker.com
Charlie reached me. I can still remember his advice in a big way.
Founder of The Self-Healing Zone
Charlie’s talk at YWSE rocked. He came ready with solid advice and challenging thoughts, and really tuned in to the audience. I think everyone walked away with more clarity about where they were at in their entrepreneurial ventures and what their next steps needed to be.
Andrea Bailey, YWSE Portland Board Member
Want Charlie to Speak For Your Event?