Topics We Explored:
- Why Sonia believes that selling and marketing are skills you don’t have to be born with, but can acquire
- How your unique set of assets and constraints equip you with something valuable
- Why Charlie and Sonia aren’t fond of the word “entrepreneur”
- What Charlie and Sonia believe are myths about entrepreneurship and side hustles
- What drew Sonia to a career in marketing
- What aspects of digital marketing are invisible and thus advantageous to those with certain barriers
- What unanticipated challenge Sonia is currently facing
“Your assets are like Legos: you put together what you can based on what you have.” – Sonia Simone (Tweet this)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Chris Brogan
- Chris Guillebeau
- “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” – Theodore Roosevelt
- “I truly can only get about one thing done per day.” – Clay Collins
- Remarkable Communication
- “What’s the shortest line between me and a check?” – Naomi Dunford
- Internet Marketing for Smart People
- Confessions of a Pink-Haired Marketer Podcast
- Pam Slim
- How to Build the Delegation Habit
- Dig Your Well Before You’re Thirsty: The Only Networking Book You’ll Ever Need by Harvey Mackay
- Jon Morrow
- Saddleback Leather
- Nerdy Nummies
- To Sell Is Human by Daniel Pink
About Sonia Simone:
Sonia Simone was a founding partner of Rainmaker Digital when it formed (as Copyblogger Media) in 2010. She serves as the company’s chief content officer and executive publisher of the Copyblogger blog. She has a long background in traditional marketing, both with startups and in more established corporate environments. She’s also a longtime veteran of social media (she first got online in 1989), and as the content marketing revolution is evolving, she’s finding that her once “weird” ideas are becoming mainstream.
Sonia’s marketing philosophy is that a company’s marketing is the sum total of everything the company communicates to its customers — both in words and in actions. Because of this, she considers herself a teacher as much as a marketer. She places the relationship with the audience of prospects and customers above everything else, and that’s the approach she teaches Copyblogger Media’s audience and students.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to Productive Flourishing on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.