Highlights of This Episode:
- How Dan discovered his passion at the intersection of tech and teaching
- What roadblocks and speed bumps Dan has encountered while finding his niche
- What valuable insights about Impostor Syndrome and strategies for dealing with it Dan has learned
- What consequences occurred after Dan found himself feeling like an impostor
- What strategy Dan uses to educate his students despite the rapidly changing field of technology
- How Dan is working to change the programmer stereotype with Launch Academy
- What mindset Dan obtained in order to overcome his fear of starting a business
“There are cultural stereotypes about what programmers are. We’re breaking a lot of those.” – Dan Pickett (Click to share – thanks!)
Links and Resources Mentioned in This Episode:
- Pam Slim on the Creative Giant Show
- Becoming Yourself and Growing Your Blog
- The Feeling Good Handbook by David Burns
- Four Important Tips for Gaining Traction on the Things That Matter Most
- Emotional Obesity: A Physical Guide to Lighten Your Life by Laura Coe
- Being Somebody Else’s Brand Won’t Work for You
- The World’s Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions by Huston Smith
- Entrepreneur’s Organization
- The Entrepreneur’s Club
About Dan Pickett:
Dan is an entrepreneur, educator, and software developer. His personal mission is to help people become the best versions of themselves they can. In that spirit, he co-founded Launch Academy in 2012 to help aspiring programmers learn what they need to know to land their first jobs as professional web developers. To date, Launch Academy has helped to launch over 200 careers in software.
Before starting Launch Academy, Dan ran a successful development consultancy, where he trained apprentice web developers while building early-stage products for the web. He has also built and led software teams for startups in the Boston area. Dan has been launching businesses since he was in high school, and has more than 15 years of software development and leadership experience.
The Impostor Syndrome is working on him right now, as he’s going through some major changes in his life and business. Let’s see how he’s working on it and helping others do the same.
Thanks for Listening!
Subscribe to The Creative Giant Show on iTunes to get all the latest episodes delivered straight to your preferred mobile device. This is the perfect option for listening to the show in the car, on the subway, or while you’re working out. Plus, you won’t have to fuss with figuring out how you’re going to listen.